Thursday, January 14, 2010

Turn Signals

Dear Driver,

Turn signals. Blinkers. Your car comes with them..for a reason!  There are laws about using them…for a reason!  Use them!

Maybe the name “turn signals” confuses some.  You don’t just use them to turn a corner.  You use them to change lanes as well.  It tells everyone around you what you are doing so they don’t hit you.

Today I’m driving along going 65 mph keeping an appropriate distance between myself and the car in front of me when suddenly, this big minivan (and I mean the big, old-fashion size minivans) moves into my lane, barely having enough room to fit between me and the car in front of me.  No turn signal.  I had to slam on my brakes.  Otherwise I would have hit her.  And she had her kid in the back seat.  Do people not think about their kids safety anymore?

Oh and another thing.  Your Garmin may tell you where to turn…but guess what? I can’t hear that little voice in your head…er…I mean your car…  I didn’t hear it tell you “turn right in 300 feet.”  So warn me when you are about to suddenly brake to turn right in 300 feet.

My favorite turn signal story happened when I was in 7th or 8th grade and I carpooled with an elementary age kid in my neighborhood.  One day, out of the blue, when my mom turned on her blinker (because she was a good driver), he asked “how does the car know how to get to school?”  (This was a long time before GPSs now tell people where to go). After my mom and I looked at each other puzzled, she suddenly realized he must have seen the blinker from the backseat.  So she explained to him how she turned it on and it wasn’t the car telling her where to go.   After listening intently on how this turn signal worked, he stated “I don’t think my mom’s car has one of those.”  It was all my mom and I could do not to start lol right then.  Well, now that he’s probably in college (or beyond) and driving I’m sure…I hope his car came equipped with turn signals and he uses them!!!

Bottom line.  Use your turn signals!  Please help me avoid hitting you by telling me if you’re about to stop to turn or merge in front of me.  It’s an easy thing to do!

[Via http://drivingmisslaura.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment