Sunday, February 7, 2010

In the Car with my Dad

For all of you that don’t know yet, for the past months I’ve been coming into terms with myself and making life-altering decisions. I’m going to let go of Civil Engineering to, hopefully, pursuit a degree in International Relations. My parents know this and encourage me to go after what’s best for me (after a lot, LOT discussions).

“I think I know what I want to do for the rest of my life.”, I say while driving with only my dad in the car and myself.

“What? I thought you said International Relations.”, he asks.

“Hmm, yeah, that sounds fun. But, umm… I don’t think so.”, I change the lane. I feel his breathe going heavy and his body contorting silently in the car seat.

“No? Well.”, there’s some pause. I can feel his head is going to explode but still he manages to “stay cool”. “Well, then what is it? Back to engineering? Perhaps History?”

“Taxi driver.”, I hold firmly the wheel.

“Excuse me?”, he tilts his head.

“Taxi driver, dad. Don’t you know they make tons of money? I love driving! Look at me, I’m a natural, dad.”, My smile touch each side of my ears, it’s so big and confident.

“You’re kidding me right? Barbara, you are not going to become a taxi driver.”, ooh, my dad is really easy to fool.

“Why not? It’s so fun, and it makes money-”

“TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT NOW, THIS IS NOT FUN, ARE YOU INSANE?”, man, he turns himself into this red tone and his eyeballs are almost popping out of his skull. This, of course, it’s the funniest scene I’ve ever witnessed and cannot hold my laugh any longer which calms him down. “What’s so funny?”

“Dad, you’re very easy to fool. I wonder how’s that going to be when you have your grandchildren around you.”

He opens his eyes in a big stare, holding his breathe.

“Relax. You won’t have them for the next six years. Cool it off, grandpa.”

[Via http://bambooska.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment