Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A day of small victories

I woke this morning to the sun streaming in through the windows. Yes. Streaming. A glorious day had dawned and (by the time I woke up, it being half term) had arced around the trees on the other side of the lake and begun casting shadows on the wall of my bedroom. Anyone could have been forgiven for thinking that spring had sprung. The snowdrops have come out and there are spears of daffodils pulling themselves up from the grass.

Fortified by the site I set to and attacked the car with the pressure washer and after a morning’s cleaning, complete with a fair amount of vigorous sponge-work with the Autoglym, Rosie (my little Audi hatchback) is once more a resplendent red. Even the carpets came up well, which is frankly a miracle after the weather.

I’ve swept the paths and basically made the homestead look a little more presentable. I’ve even got up the ladders and adjusted the guttering joint that has been dripping since we moved in back in September. Unfortunately I got absolutely drenched doing it – I had a face- and front-full of water, sludge and moss when I unclipped the guttering join, and my back got soaked because it was raining by the time I’d freed off the extending mechanism on the ladders. Why is nothing ever easy? Still, it’s a job that I’d been meaning to do for months and I felt a tremendous sense of satisfaction just from knowing that the rain won’t drip down onto the foundations in that part of the house.

Will have to write more later.

[Via http://gjrwilliams82.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment