Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Headphones, Sony in particular

I have been a loyal Sony headphone user for ~15 years. I started with the compact, foldable ones because my toolbox space was precious. In the last 10 years or so, I have had 5 pairs of the typical Sony headphones – MDR 7506. Two were stolen- one when the trailer was broken into on tour and my toolbox taken, one right off of the FOH console after a New Years Eve 2001 gig. The other three have failed in exactly the same way. The right earpiece stops working.This is cool,at that time eonon’s car dvd system also get me high.

Anyone very familiar with these headphones know that the design flaw in these headphones is how the wire gets pinched in the folding bits of the headphones when put away for storage. I will watch car videos online.All three of my ‘dead’ headphones shows wear through the jacket at some point exposing signal wires within. After the first time this happened, I sized the headphones on my head and then taped the wires in place in hopes of avoiding the loose wire pinch problem and still have exprerienced this problem. I have taken two of the headphones apart to determine if the mechanical stress of opening and closing them once a day for a year or two has stressed the internal connections and I cannot find a failure. The drivers show continuity. Any reason I should keep buying Sony?

No comments:

Post a Comment