Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Defending A Stranger

The date is 12/17/2009 and the time is around 2:00 AM. Brian and I are waiting for Alicia and Erika to get to Denny’s and join us for some late night food. Alicia arrives, followed by Erika and we begin to order and chat about the random things going on. Some friends of Alicia’s happened to enter the Denny’s and they said hi to each other. Everything seemed to be as usual and all. It was quiet, not a lot of people around in the restaurant at all.

Some weird, older guy sat behind us our booth, about 2 booths back, and kept staring at Erika. Erika got sick of it and Brian told her to switch seats with him, this way Brian and I would be the ones facing the guy. Those friends of Alicia’s were playing around with a paper airplane they made and accidentally threw it in the direction of a girl who was walking into the restaurant. The girl acted mad, but was only joking and wasn’t at all upset. The weird guy, though, made a comment that lead to an eventful night.

“I think he’s gay,” is what the weird guy says. “I think that’s his problem, I think he’s gay.” At this point, we’re all looking at each other thinking, “Oh God, he’s talking.” We already knew

there was something off with him when he ordered his food and was blatantly staring at Erika but we were hoping he’d just keep to himself. He repeated himself once more, I guess he wasn’t happy with not getting a response. At this point, everyone at my booth said things like, “Thanks for your input,” “Are you done now?” “Can you please be quiet?” He wouldn’t stop though and eventually turned his comments into hate-filled slurs. “I think he’s a faggot! He’s a faggot!” Brian went off first, “Sir, shut up right now,” or something along those lines. This is when the guy turned his comments towards us, calling me and Brian faggots. Brian got up out of his seat and I followed.

“Take one more step!” says the weird guy, followed by him quickly getting out of his seat and putting up his fists in preparation for a fight. Seeing me and Brian standing right next to each other and very pissed at him must have made him think we were going to attack. Brian kept telling him to shut up while the guy mumbled something that I can’t remember, probably about taking another step. I followed up with, “Look, I am asking you to shut the fuck up!” and got a little closer to him. He looked like he was about to try and punch me but I think he reconsidered the action and decided on a new tactic, tattle telling and lying.

The weird guy turns and shouts, “I’m being attacked! I’m being attacked! Someone get a manager! I’m being attacked!” He walks towards the kitchen area and is turned away by employees. I followed him to make sure we could get a word in if he found a manager, but when he was turned away he walked back towards the door, passing right in front of me. He whispered, “I’ll slap you right in the face.” This set me off, “Do it motherfucker, fucking do it! Right here, hit me!” He didn’t take the offer and kept walking towards the door, I didn’t follow. As he walked through the door he turned and motioned me to come outside and I told him, “No, I came here to eat, not whoop on some old man.” He walked out and left.

I was heated, an attack on someone’s way of life, whether that guy was gay or not, is uncalled for in any situation. That kind of opinion should stay to yourself and those kinds of people who say stuff like that are the kind of people that are likely to cause hate crimes. I will never sit down for actions like that. There is no room for hate in this world. I was shaking with adrenaline when he left. I could have hurt him a lot if he hit me.

We kept an eye on the door and the windows the whole time. We knew that he was probably still out there. Some girls went outside to have a cigarette but didn’t seem to see anything. We kept our guard up as the food came.

About 5 minutes after the smoker girls came back in, we saw the guy by our cars. I saw him on Erika’s car doing something, I thought he was just drunk and stumbling on top of it. Brian ran out and the guy took off. I was not far behind Brian and we looked at the cars. Naturally, we looked at the tires first but couldn’t see any cuts. Brian noticed something eventually and ran in for his jacket and paid for his meal. I kept an eye on the guy as he went to his truck across the street. I got a good look at the truck but not the plates, it was way too far for that. I wish I had followed him some more and got his license plate number because we found out just a second after he got in his car that he had keyed all four of our cars.

Manager called the cops when we ran out at the sight of the guy, cops got the story from us and made a case out of it. I doubt anything will come of it but it was worth a shot.

Sydney has two key marks, one long line on the hood and one even longer line on the driver side. I’m not that pissed though. I’m sure this guy lives a crappy life and he was just out looking to get company for his misery that early morning. He wont get any company from me.

[Via http://mynomadmind.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment