Wednesday, September 23, 2009

'02 Mazda Chariot

Backstory:

I traded my car over the weekend (that’s a longer story for another day).

Fast-Forward to Tonight:

I’m driving back to the car dealer because the “Check Engine” light is on in my new (used) car. Here’s my confession: In my brain, I’m gerbil-wheeling all the potential things that could be wrong with my car, alternating with raging paranoia that I’ve bought the wrong car and therefore am a failure of a person. And I’m realizing how thick the pity party is, and I’m wanting to snap out of it but can’t seem to get the upper hand on my mind.

And in the midst of this churning blah-ness, this line pops into my head:

“Some may trust in horses, and some may trust in chariots, but we will trust in the name of our God.”

And I realized that in a small way, I had been trusting in my chariot–my ‘02 Mazda “Chariot”–to deliver me from my fears of ongoing car woes. 

In this small sliver of my day, I was encouraged to consider the possibility that grace is found in those moments when near-forgotten lyrics connect with new circumstances–not to make everything better–but to give you even just a moment to stand still and breathe in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment