Friday, September 18, 2009

ScanGauge II 3-in-1 Compact Multifunction Vehicle Computer with Customizable Display Review

I’ve had the scanGuage II for about 3 weeks at the time of this review. I had bought the unit because I was interested in finding out about how my car, a 2002 Toyota Solara was holding up and what the car computer might tell me.

First the cons:

would have been nice to have sockets 1. The cord is too long. The total run from the ODB II port to where the unit is mounted is about a 15 inches, top. It on both the plug and the SG II. Include a long and short cord, or just have it

so that cat5e network cable could be used.

Why? Because storing the excess cable somewhere is a problem, I ended up storing in inside the panel protecting the steering column, and may have created a short in one vehicle lighting circuits.

2. The velcro is too weak to hold the unit in place. I ended up using Radio Shack  LockTite fasteners (the clear ones) instead.

3. The manual leaves a lot to be desired, especially the pictures which are so low contrast and dark they are useless. I had to go online and download the manual as a PDF file.

Pros: The ScanGuage works as advertised. To me this is the Holy Grail of advertising. It barely is worth repeating the items for sale that deliver what they promise.

1. The display is large and very legible, even at night (or especially at night).

2. The diagnostics (both realtime and stored) are comprehensive

3. The codes are easy to read.

The biggest pro for me is being able to monitor my actual Miles Per Gallon *mileage* I’ve changed my driving style from constant foot on the gas

pedal to gas-and-coast. A tank of gas lasts SO much longer now, because I now know how much a lead foot costs. In fact for any given trip I can tell

how much it costs not only in dollars and cents, but also by engine load and

how far (or further) I got just coasting along.

The unit is (in my black & gray interior) inconspicuous, and the slightly cheap look to the unit works to it’s advantage: no one takes it seriously as “a thing worth stealing.”

If I had any indication that someone would understand what it does, I’d be recommending it left and right. As it stands, it is something of a specialty item, except you soon wonder how you ever got along without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment